Wednesday, May 27, 2009

From A Bird's Eye View

A piece written 11 years back. But it continues to stay a truth for me in context of my God and the perspective of HIM. For the sharing :)
http://www.indianexpress.com/ie/daily/19980504/12451824.html

From A Bird's Eye View
The same old moon above ...it didn't hold ME. There were millions below. And stars too which didn't float in space. They moved, they blinked and they didn't fall. They were squares, triangles, circles of stars that moved along a pale orange trail. A trail that seemed to be lighted from beneath. And it took me back to my days of the mud houses I had shaped with my hands -- puny little mud houses with lamps lighted in. And of toy trains and toy buses.
The sky below moved as I sat mid air. Static in space. Not moving. But I was. And fast. This was my first brush with wings. And that too at night. (Night flying comes to the privileged few, the captain had said). I had suddenly grown wings right above my head that evening when my friend had pressed my hand and whispered:"We are flying!"
Minutes later, looking through the copter window, it was a sight too spread out. And it took a dimension to catch my eye. The lake... a bucketful of water spilled out, the roundabouts ...ride on a maypole, sector-17 ...blocks and moving dots ...I could play Chinese checkers. My eyes couldn't get huge enough, nor my mouth even as I kept making bigger circles with it to keep the ears from bursting. The neons blinked below ...I could recognise them, not by reading but by making out the locations. Identifying marks down there was like... I am still groping for a word. Comfortably familiar? Yes, this comes close. And so was the moon besides me.
I lived a world somewhere in between. A lifetime in the air. And the one below looked like a shred.. on a joy ride.. mapped out..in a circle. It was on a move. I had felt it before. Now I knew it... it took me a flight to see. For there had been times when the world down there had stopped suddenly as if someone had pressed a `stop' button somewhere. But it never did. Same as it was here ...mid air. The wings above my head had ceased making noise. And a lot other noises too went. For now I saw...Nothing is too big. Nothing is too much. Nothing is the ONLY ONE ....From a distance.
I landed with a smile. Thanks Captain.
Copyright © 1998 Indian Express Newspapers (Bombay) Ltd.

No comments:

Post a Comment

अमलतास का गीत

वो अमलतास देखते हो? वो ना  झूम कर  बांहे फैलाये  हवाओं की हथेलियों पर  सूरज की छननी से ढ़ांप कर  एक गीत  भेजता है हर सुबह  मेरी ओर.  पर  वो ग...